Monday, August 11, 2008

It’s The Truth, God Only Accepts Hymns!

Then they sang a hymn and went out to the Mount of Olives. Matthew 26:30

I hope that I grabbed your attention with the title – Lol! There is great debate regarding this subject, especially here in the south.

I have known the Lord for more than 14 yrs. now and I have heard numerous times that the only true offering of worship is in the form of "hymns" meaning, those songs which are found in the "Hymnal". Well, this morning as I was reading in the book of Matthew, I came across the word HYMN – I don’t know why I haven’t seen it before but I saw it today as clear as could be. They sang a hymn… as I looked at the word hymn I realized not only that hymns are Biblical but that they were here way before KJV was even a thought. Then I noticed something even more incredible… Jesus was right there with the disciples singing a hymn to His Father – WOW!

Right then and there I realized that I can no longer speak of “hymns” as just some antiquated form of worship and that all “hymnals” should be tossed in the dump because they are not for today! I’ll get back to this in a second…

The question which needs to be asked and answered is this – What is a hymn? Well, a hymn is a song, ode or poem delivered in honor of God or a song of celebration, joy and praise to God.

  • Honor – 1. the esteem due or paid to worth 2. any expression of respect or of high estimation by words or actions 3. exalted rank or place; distinction 4. reverence; veneration or any act by which reverence and submission are expressed, as in worship paid to God
  • Praise – 1. to commend, applaud or to express admiration 2. to extol in words or song; to magnify; to glorify 3. to express personal gratitude
Well, there you have it – hymns should be part of the everyday Christian walk, I’m still not convinced that we should keep the “Hymnals” but I am convinced that we should give great honor to God and celebrate Him with as much praise as we can even as Jesus did. Hey, we ware the bracelets, hats, shirts and bumper stickers asking the question WWJD? Well, in this small piece of scripture we know beyond a shadow-of-doubt that one thing He did was, sing hymns to His Father…

Wag

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like it. didn't they also sing what ever song came from their heart in expression of praise?