Skip to main content

A Transplant Isn’t a Cure | An Organ Donation Educational Moment

There’s a moment after a successful transplant when it can look like the story is over.

The failing organ is gone.

The donated organ is working.

The recipient survived.

Eventually, there may be pictures of them smiling.

Going home.

Returning to work.

Celebrating a transplant anniversary.

Living again.

From the outside, it can look like:

They’re fixed.

But there’s something important to understand about organ transplantation:

A transplant can save your life without ending your medical story.

The Body Knows It Isn’t Yours

A transplanted organ may be exactly what someone needs to stay alive.

But the recipient’s immune system doesn’t understand the story behind it.

It doesn’t know about the donor.

It doesn’t understand the gift.

It doesn’t know that this organ is the reason its owner is still alive.

It recognizes something foreign.

And its natural response can be to attack and kill it.

That is rejection.

So transplant recipients need medications that suppress (fool) the immune system and help prevent the body from doing it’s job rejecting the transplanted organ. For heart recipients, those medications are needed for life. NHLBI, NIH

Preventing One Problem Creates Others

Those medications are lifesaving.

They also change the equation.

Suppressing the immune system helps protect the transplanted organ—but it can also make it harder for the body to fight infection.

Some anti-rejection medications can contribute to other long-term health problems as well.

So after transplant, doctors aren’t simply watching the new organ.

They’re watching the recipient.

Bloodwork.

Medication levels.

Kidney function.

Signs of infection.

Signs of rejection.

And other complications that can develop over time. NHLBI, NIH

The appointments may become less frequent as time passes.

But the responsibility doesn’t disappear.

“How’s the New Heart?”

People sometimes ask me:

“How’s the new heart?”

It’s a perfectly reasonable question.

But transplantation taught me that there’s a bigger question:

How is the person living with the new heart?

Because the heart doesn’t exist separately from everything else happening in my body.

The medications protecting it affect the rest of me.

The decisions I make affect it.

The follow-up matters.

The bloodwork matters.

Taking the medication correctly matters.

Paying attention when something doesn’t feel right matters.

A transplant gave me another chance to live.

It didn’t make me medically invincible.

The Anniversary Photos Don’t Show Everything

I love celebrating transplant anniversaries.

I think we should.

A year of life is worth celebrating.

So are two.

Four.

Ten.

Twenty.

But the photograph of a recipient smiling on an anniversary doesn’t show everything that made that photograph possible.

It doesn’t show the pills.

The blood draws.

The appointments.

The medication changes.

The precautions.

The moments when a lab result makes you wonder what comes next.

The awareness that rejection and infection aren’t merely words from a pamphlet.

They’re part of the medical reality recipients learn to live with. Mayo Clinic

That doesn’t diminish the gift.

It makes the gift even more extraordinary.

A Second Chance Is Still a Responsibility

Sometimes we describe transplantation as receiving a second chance at life.

I believe that.

But a second chance isn’t the same thing as returning to the life you had before.

You move forward differently.

There is gratitude.

There is freedom.

There are ordinary days you weren’t guaranteed to have.

And there is responsibility.

For me, part of honoring the gift is taking care of what I was given.

Taking the medication.

Showing up for the appointments.

Doing the bloodwork.

Listening to my transplant team.

Paying attention to my body.

Living the life that donation made possible.

A transplant isn’t a magic reset button.

It doesn’t erase every medical concern.

And it doesn’t mean the recipient is simply “fixed”.

A transplant isn’t a cure.

It’s a second chance that requires lifelong care.

The gift gave me more life.

My responsibility is to care for that gift for as long as I’m fortunate enough to have it.

——— ❤️ ———

AN ORGAN DONATION EDUCATIONAL MOMENT

One question. One fact. One story. One moment at a time.

Not pressure. Not persuasion. Just understanding.

Because education matters.

Wayne Adam Greer
Author • Heart Transplant Recipient

Explore more Organ Donation Educational Moments →

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long View — Lighter Notes #2

Things I Appreciate More Now I’ve noticed something over time. The things I appreciate now aren’t the things I used to chase. They’re quieter than that. Less about achievement. More about experience. A slow morning with nowhere to rush off to. Finishing a conversation instead of checking the time. Having fewer things to do… and actually enjoying them. It’s not that life suddenly became easier. It’s that certain things became clearer. I appreciate not being in a hurry. There was a time when everything felt like it needed to move faster. Like progress was tied to speed. Like slowing down meant falling behind. Now I’m not so sure. There’s something about a slower pace that lets you actually notice your life while you’re living it. I appreciate a smaller circle. Not because people don’t matter — but because the right people matter more. Conversations feel easier. Time feels more meaningful. There’s less noise and more connection. I appreciate things that don’t need to be impressive. A good...

Resilience — More Than a Buzzword

  Resilience (n.) The capacity to withstand hardship or to recover quickly from difficulty; toughness. We toss around the word  resilience  today when we talk about stress, setbacks or missed opportunities. But what does  true  resilience look like? To see it clearly, step into the life of someone born in  1900 : Age 14  → World War I begins (1914–1918). By 18, they’ve lived through a war that claimed 22 million lives. Age 18  → The Spanish Flu pandemic (1918–1920) kills an estimated 50 million. Surviving meant grit beyond imagination. Age 29  → The Wall Street Crash triggers the Great Depression . Hunger, unemployment and despair define an era. Age 33  → The rise of Nazism reshapes global politics and stirs fear across continents. Age 39  → World War II erupts (1939–1945). By the end, over 60 million are dead. Age 52  → The Korean War (1950–1953) claims over 5 million lives. Age 64  → The Vietnam War escalates (196...

❤️ Alive Today Because Someone Said Yes

A Heart Transplant Story About Organ Donation, Second Chances and Why It Matters 🔹 The Diagnosis That Changed Everything   For 17 years, I lived knowing my heart would eventually fail.   I was diagnosed in 2005. Life didn’t stop — it just changed. With the right treatment, I kept working, building and showing up. On the outside, things looked normal.   But in the background, there was always a quiet reality: At some point, my heart would run out of time.   💬 “For 17 years, I lived knowing my heart would eventually fail.”   🔹 When “Eventually” Becomes Now   By 2022, things started to shift.   Fatigue became constant. Simple tasks became difficult. Everyday life required more effort than it should.   It wasn’t one dramatic moment — it was a slow decline. And that made it harder to recognize just how serious things had become.   Until it was undeniable.   I wasn’t managing a condition anymore. I was fighting for my life.   💬 “It di...