“I’m probably too old to be an organ donor.”
Or maybe:
“My health isn’t great. They wouldn’t be able to use anything anyway.”
Those thoughts sound reasonable.
But here’s something important to understand:
That decision may not be yours to make.
Age does not automatically disqualify someone from organ donation.
Neither does having a medical history.
Whether organs or tissues can actually be donated depends on many factors. Potential donors are evaluated individually by medical professionals when the time comes.
So you don’t need to look at your age, your health history or the medications you take and decide:
“Nobody could use anything from me.”
Maybe they couldn’t.
But maybe they could.
And that’s the larger educational point.
Sometimes what prevents a person from becoming an organ donor isn’t opposition to donation.
It’s an assumption.
I’m too old.
I’m not healthy enough.
They wouldn’t be able to use anything.
And without ever asking, someone who might have been willing to donate has already disqualified themselves.
But there are really two different decisions here.
One is medical:
Can anything be donated?
The other is personal:
Am I willing to donate?
You don’t have to make both.
Let medical professionals make the medical determination.
You make the personal one.
Don’t let an assumption make it for you.
Know what’s true.
Then make your decision.
——— ❤️ ———
AN ORGAN DONATION EDUCATIONAL MOMENT
One question. One fact. One story. One moment at a time.
Not pressure. Not persuasion. Just understanding.
Because education matters.
Wayne Adam Greer
Author • Heart Transplant Recipient

Comments
Post a Comment