Skip to main content

Hope Doesn't Need a Translator | An Organ Donation Educational Moment

AN ORGAN DONATION EDUCATIONAL MOMENT

Yesterday, I attended a LifeGift event celebrating Multicultural Awareness Month.

One of the speakers said something that stayed with me. I’m paraphrasing, but the thought was essentially:

“We come from different cultures. We speak different languages. But hope is the same for all of us.”

Think about that in the context of organ donation.

A donor and recipient may come from completely different worlds.

Different cultures.
Different languages.
Different traditions.
Different beliefs.
Different life experiences.

They may never have met.

And yet, in one extraordinary moment, their stories become forever connected.

The person whose heart now beats inside my chest may have experienced the world very differently than I do.

I may never know.

But I do know this:

When my family and I were waiting for a heart, hope didn’t belong to a culture.

It didn’t speak a particular language.

It didn’t care where I came from.

It was simply hope.

And somewhere, in the middle of another family’s unimaginable loss, a decision was made that allowed that hope to become life.

Maybe that’s one of the beautiful things organ donation can teach us:

Our differences are real. They matter. They are part of what makes each of us who we are.

But there are some things so deeply human that they belong to all of us.

Love.

Loss.

Grief.

Hope.

And the desire for one more tomorrow.

Hope doesn’t need a translator. ❤️

——— ❤️ ———

AN ORGAN DONATION EDUCATIONAL MOMENT

One question. One fact. One story. One moment at a time.

Not pressure. Not persuasion. Just understanding.

Because education matters.

Wayne Adam Greer
Author • Heart Transplant Recipient

Explore more Organ Donation Educational Moments →

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resilience — More Than a Buzzword

  Resilience (n.) The capacity to withstand hardship or to recover quickly from difficulty; toughness. We toss around the word  resilience  today when we talk about stress, setbacks or missed opportunities. But what does  true  resilience look like? To see it clearly, step into the life of someone born in  1900 : Age 14  → World War I begins (1914–1918). By 18, they’ve lived through a war that claimed 22 million lives. Age 18  → The Spanish Flu pandemic (1918–1920) kills an estimated 50 million. Surviving meant grit beyond imagination. Age 29  → The Wall Street Crash triggers the Great Depression . Hunger, unemployment and despair define an era. Age 33  → The rise of Nazism reshapes global politics and stirs fear across continents. Age 39  → World War II erupts (1939–1945). By the end, over 60 million are dead. Age 52  → The Korean War (1950–1953) claims over 5 million lives. Age 64  → The Vietnam War escalates (196...

The Long View — Lighter Notes #2

Things I Appreciate More Now I’ve noticed something over time. The things I appreciate now aren’t the things I used to chase. They’re quieter than that. Less about achievement. More about experience. A slow morning with nowhere to rush off to. Finishing a conversation instead of checking the time. Having fewer things to do… and actually enjoying them. It’s not that life suddenly became easier. It’s that certain things became clearer. I appreciate not being in a hurry. There was a time when everything felt like it needed to move faster. Like progress was tied to speed. Like slowing down meant falling behind. Now I’m not so sure. There’s something about a slower pace that lets you actually notice your life while you’re living it. I appreciate a smaller circle. Not because people don’t matter — but because the right people matter more. Conversations feel easier. Time feels more meaningful. There’s less noise and more connection. I appreciate things that don’t need to be impressive. A good...

❤️ Alive Today Because Someone Said Yes

A Heart Transplant Story About Organ Donation, Second Chances and Why It Matters 🔹 The Diagnosis That Changed Everything   For 17 years, I lived knowing my heart would eventually fail.   I was diagnosed in 2005. Life didn’t stop — it just changed. With the right treatment, I kept working, building and showing up. On the outside, things looked normal.   But in the background, there was always a quiet reality: At some point, my heart would run out of time.   💬 “For 17 years, I lived knowing my heart would eventually fail.”   🔹 When “Eventually” Becomes Now   By 2022, things started to shift.   Fatigue became constant. Simple tasks became difficult. Everyday life required more effort than it should.   It wasn’t one dramatic moment — it was a slow decline. And that made it harder to recognize just how serious things had become.   Until it was undeniable.   I wasn’t managing a condition anymore. I was fighting for my life.   💬 “It di...