Skip to main content

The Long View — Lighter Notes #5

Most of life doesn’t happen in the big moments.

It happens in the space between them.


The drive from one place to another.
The few quiet minutes before something starts.
The pause after something ends.


Nothing you’d call important.


Easy to overlook.

Easy to move past.


But those moments are there more often than anything else.


And over time… they add up.


We tend to focus on the highlights.


The things that stand out.
The moments that feel like something is happening.


But most of life isn’t lived there.


It’s lived in the in-between.


And when you start to notice that…


Something shifts.


Those quiet spaces stop feeling empty.


They start to feel like part of the experience.


A moment to think.
To reset.
To just be where you are for a second.


Not everything has to be filled.

Not every moment needs something happening.


Sometimes the space itself is where things settle.


Where thoughts become clearer.
Where conversations linger a little longer.
Where you actually experience your life instead of just moving through it.


And maybe that’s the shift.


Not just paying attention to the big moments.


But recognizing that the space between them is where most of life actually happens.

—

Reflection:
When was the last time you noticed the space between things?


Part of The Long View — quiet reflections on life, identity and legacy.


— — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

About the Author

W. Adam Greer is an author, storyteller and founder of Greer House Press.

Through his writing he explores the intersection of identity, faith, leadership and legacy.

Adam is also the creator of The Authority Edge™, a framework built on the belief that true authority grows from clarity, integrity and the courage to live authentically.

Whether reflecting on life lessons, spiritual perspective or the music and memories that shape a generation, his work invites readers to step back, gain clarity and consider what truly matters in the long view.

🌐 WayneAdamGreer.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long View — Lighter Notes #2

Things I Appreciate More Now I’ve noticed something over time. The things I appreciate now aren’t the things I used to chase. They’re quieter than that. Less about achievement. More about experience. A slow morning with nowhere to rush off to. Finishing a conversation instead of checking the time. Having fewer things to do… and actually enjoying them. It’s not that life suddenly became easier. It’s that certain things became clearer. I appreciate not being in a hurry. There was a time when everything felt like it needed to move faster. Like progress was tied to speed. Like slowing down meant falling behind. Now I’m not so sure. There’s something about a slower pace that lets you actually notice your life while you’re living it. I appreciate a smaller circle. Not because people don’t matter — but because the right people matter more. Conversations feel easier. Time feels more meaningful. There’s less noise and more connection. I appreciate things that don’t need to be impressive. A good...

Resilience — More Than a Buzzword

  Resilience (n.) The capacity to withstand hardship or to recover quickly from difficulty; toughness. We toss around the word  resilience  today when we talk about stress, setbacks or missed opportunities. But what does  true  resilience look like? To see it clearly, step into the life of someone born in  1900 : Age 14  → World War I begins (1914–1918). By 18, they’ve lived through a war that claimed 22 million lives. Age 18  → The Spanish Flu pandemic (1918–1920) kills an estimated 50 million. Surviving meant grit beyond imagination. Age 29  → The Wall Street Crash triggers the Great Depression . Hunger, unemployment and despair define an era. Age 33  → The rise of Nazism reshapes global politics and stirs fear across continents. Age 39  → World War II erupts (1939–1945). By the end, over 60 million are dead. Age 52  → The Korean War (1950–1953) claims over 5 million lives. Age 64  → The Vietnam War escalates (196...

❤️ Alive Today Because Someone Said Yes

A Heart Transplant Story About Organ Donation, Second Chances and Why It Matters πŸ”Ή The Diagnosis That Changed Everything   For 17 years, I lived knowing my heart would eventually fail.   I was diagnosed in 2005. Life didn’t stop — it just changed. With the right treatment, I kept working, building and showing up. On the outside, things looked normal.   But in the background, there was always a quiet reality: At some point, my heart would run out of time.   πŸ’¬ “For 17 years, I lived knowing my heart would eventually fail.”   πŸ”Ή When “Eventually” Becomes Now   By 2022, things started to shift.   Fatigue became constant. Simple tasks became difficult. Everyday life required more effort than it should.   It wasn’t one dramatic moment — it was a slow decline. And that made it harder to recognize just how serious things had become.   Until it was undeniable.   I wasn’t managing a condition anymore. I was fighting for my life.   πŸ’¬ “It di...